EUTF Finance Officer for Protocols on Free Movement of Persons and Transhumance
Position title: EUTF Finance Officer for Protocols on Free Movement of Persons and Transhumance
Reference: EUTF FO – FMP
Organizational Unit: Health and Social Development Division
Duty Station: Djibouti, IGAD Secretariat.
Project Duration: 12 months, with possibility for extension based on availability of funds.
Date of Posting: 11 June 2022.
Deadline for Applications: 10 July 2022
The Inter-Governmental Authority on Development (IGAD) is a Regional Economic Community (REC) that consists of eight Member States including Djibouti, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Kenya, Somalia, South Sudan, Sudan and Uganda. The IGAD region experiences large-scale mixed migration movements both within and outside its borders. For many people in the IGAD region, migration is seen as a coping strategy for ecological and economic downturns. These population movements are occasioned by push and pull factors in the region including pastoral mobility, conflicts, political instability, civil war, natural disasters, locust plagues and food insecurity), lack of employment and search for better job opportunities.
In line with the Agreement Establishing IGAD (1986), the IGAD Secretariat and its member States have been implementing a program towards facilitation of free movement of persons and transhumance in order to enhance regional economic integration and development. With a grant from the EUTF, the project has supported development of the two Protocols of Free Movement of Persons and Transhumance in IGAD Region. The endorsed Protocol on Free Movement of Persons in IGAD Region foresees an IGAD region where the citizens have a right of entry and exit within the member States of IGAD, labour mobility and access to employment, right of residence and right of establishment The IGAD draft Transhumance Protocol foresees that all transhumant herders and livestock shall be allowed free passage across the borders of Member States for water and pasture under certain conditions set in the protocol. During the first phase of the program, the protocols have been finalized, validated and endorsed by the IGAD Committee of Ambassadors. In the second phase, the program will support the process of adoption, ratification and domestication of the IGAD Protocols on Free Movement of Persons and on Transhumance along with complementary measures to implement them.
Under the leadership of the Director of Health and Social Division, and direct supervision of the EUTF Program Manager of the EUTF Free Movement Project, the EUTF Finance Officer will focus on EUTF Protocols project financial management and support execution of project activities as outlined in the Action document and his/her detailed job description.
- Job Summary
Under the overall guidance of the EUTF Project Manager, the EUTF Finance Officer oversees the proper processing of programme related financial transactions as well as maintenance of finance and accounting records. S/he will ensure accurate recording and reporting of financial information. The Finance Officer will also produce EUTF fund accountability statements and analyse financial information and provide advice on financial matters. Establish and maintain effective accounting control systems. The Finance Officer will also draft terms of reference for EUTF Project Account audits. Finally, the Finance Officer will also prepare and submit EUTF Financial Reports including Audit reports to the EU Delegation in compliance with EUTF EU-IGAD Financing Agreement.
- Core Duties and Responsibilities
- Financial Transactions
- Handle all financial functions related to EUTF project;
- Assists/ in the preparation of Monthly & Quarterly reports of the EUTF accounts
- Assist in the preparation and monitoring of programme estimates/budget
- Verify the correct application of contract and grant award procedures in compliance with EUTF grant rules and procedures;
- Verify the existence of adequate and reliable supporting documents for commitments, payments and any recoveries;
- Verify the contractual and financial details of each invoice and payment
- Request and interim or final itemized statement of account of the EUTF project;
- Prepare payroll, update lists of staff and their salaries,
- Take inventory of materials and equipment financed by the project;
- Prepare and make requests for replenishment and for closure of the project account.
- Prepare logistics orders to be effected by the IGAD Procurement Unit.
- Prepare payment Orders
- Liaise with IGAD Finance unit to ensure effectiveness and efficiency of project financial management to ensure smooth project running and compliance to EUTF grant rules and procedures.
- Ensure the smooth and timely disbursement of funds.
- Prepare documentation for audit purposes; produce audit working papers as required.
- Research and document explanations of significant budget variances on a periodic basis
- Prepare timely and accurate periodic financial reports of the EUTF Project covering both the Protocols on Free Movement of Persons and Transhumance.
- With the Project Manager and Transhumance Expert, take lead in periodic financial reviews as appropriate.
- Contract management for EUTF Project assessments and studies.
- In liaison with the IGAD Legal Counsel, support the EUTF Project Manager in the management of contracts in line with approved terms of reference.
- Keep a record of minutes of tender committees related to the project.
- Minimum Qualifications and Experience
4.1 Educational Requirements
Minimum of Bachelor’s Degree in accounting.
4.2 Experience/ Key skills and competencies
- Extensive experience and working knowledge of EDF and EUTF procedures is mandatory.
- More than 5 years of experience in Accounting and Finance.
- Intermediate to advanced computer literacy, including experience in word processing, spreadsheets and accounting software.
- Knowledge of IGAD and the IGAD Region has an added advantage
Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of IGAD integration agenda and methods of work with its Member States.
- Knowledge of EU/EDF/EUTF PRAG rules and procedures.
- Knowledge of sun systems accounting software or other accounting platform
- Ability to work well with others under deadline situations and respond to changes in priorities.
- Good written and verbal communication skills in English
- Ability to work independently, take initiative, set priorities. Strong service orientation.
- Strong organizational skills.
- Language requirements
Fluency in English is required. French is an added advantage.
- Duration of contract
This position is for a duration of 12 months in accordance with the provision of the EUTF Financing Agreement. This contract can be extended upon availability of new budgets.
- Terms and conditions of Service
This position is EUTF funded and is a non-established position whose contract terms are limited to the period of support. The post offers attractive consolidated remuneration package.
- How to Apply
Appropriately qualified applicants from IGAD Member States are eligible to apply.
Interested candidates should send their applications in PDF format enclosed with Completed application form attached with this vacancy announcement (Application Form – EUTF FO – FMP), cover letter, Curriculum Vitae, academic documents, copy of passports/ ID cards biometric page, three reference persons including the last employer.
The application should be sent by E-mail to the following addresses: E-mail address: firstname.lastname@example.org with subject line ‘EUTF-FO-FMP’.
Closing date for application will be on 10 July 2022. Due to the large number of applications we expect to receive; only successful candidates who meet the required experience & qualifications for this position will be contacted.
Contact: + 25321354050
IGAD is an equal opportunity employer. Female candidates are encouraged to apply