Position title: GEO-Political Analyst
Reference: IGAD – GPA
Organizational Unit: IGAD Peace and Security Division
Duty Station: Addis Ababa, Ethiopia.
Project Duration: 12 months, with possibility for extension based on availability of funds.
Date of Posting: 11 June 2022.
Deadline for Applications: 10 July 2022
The Inter-Governmental Authority on Development (IGAD) is a Regional Economic Community (REC) that consists of eight Member States including Djibouti, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Kenya, Somalia, South Sudan, Sudan and Uganda. The rising geopolitical significance of the Horn of Africa in particular and the IGAD Region in general requires timely assessment of the changing context along with the challenges and prospects for peace and stability. In order to effectively implement the IGAD peace and security strategy 2021-2025, it is imperative that the implication of the situation of the political dynamics needs to be regularly assessed so as to gauge how the emerging or prevailing geopolitical scenario impacts the implementation of the strategic priorities in general.
With this background the Inter-Governmental Authority on Development /IGAD intends to recruit a Geopolitical Analyst with the professional skills and experiences in the area of peace and security and related Global /Continental and Regional issues.
- Core Duties and Responsibilities
The Geo-Political Analyst is accountable to the IGAD Peace and Security Director and performs the following tasks
- While Regional cooperation is important in a changing security dynamic, several issues including state behaviour and varied geo-political interests affect international relations. So, it is critical to assess the geopolitical issues that affect the international relations in the region due to proximity of the member states to one another and due to shared borders and historical perspectives. So, the Analyst is expected to do a deeper assessment of the on-going dynamics from political and historical perspectives;
- Continuous data collection and analysis of the implications of the rapidly changing national political environment of some countries in the Horn of Africa to the wider Region is important. So, the task covers assessing national level socio-political issues that could trigger conflicts with possible spill over effects to the neighbouring countries;
- Analyze the good intentions for cooperation in the region and the bottlenecks challenging the political will and effective implementation of joint strategies;
- Since recent economic and military investments are reshaping the geopolitical dynamics on both sides of the Red Sea, it is important to consider the Red Sea front as a new flashing geo-political agenda both in the region and globally. So, the analysis is expected to cover the partnerships with the Gulf States that are investing on Seaports and the IGAD countries interest;
- Asses how the global political alliances and power configurations affect the Horn of Africa Region with major emphasis on their international relations. This also includes the influences of external powers in the region in general terms;
- It is evident that all of the countries are affected by the COVID 19 pandemic though the extent varies. It is crucial to assess the impacts of the pandemic on peace and security issues both at national and regional levels as well;
- As directed by the Peace and Security Division Director, closely work with the Technical Team that consolidates monthly updates and quarterly threat analysis of the region in the Peace and Security Division, review and ensure the regular update reports are in line with the wider geopolitical analysis;
- Prepare urgent briefing notes, opening remarks and other tasks when required and advised by the Director;
- Minimum Qualifications and Experience
3.1 Educational Requirements
Minimum of MA Degree in Social Sciences, preferably in Political Science /International Relations, Law etc.
3.2 Experience/ Key skills and competencies
- 5-7 years of demonstrated experience in producing analytical papers
- Extensive experience in political analyses and diplomacy with demonstrated ability of planning and coordination
- Knowledge of IGAD and the IGAD Region
Skills and Abilities:
- Excellent writing skills in English
- Very good communications skill
- Flexibility to travel within the region and beyond when required
- Language requirements
Fluency in English is required. French is an added advantage.
- Duration of contract
This position is for a duration of 12 months with possibility for extension based on availability of funds.
- How to Apply
Appropriately qualified applicants from IGAD Member States are eligible to apply.
Interested candidates should send their applications in PDF format enclosed with Completed application form attached with this vacancy announcement (Application Form – IGAD – GPA), cover letter, Curriculum Vitae, academic documents, copy of passport/ ID card biometric page, three reference persons including the last employer.
The application should be sent by E-mail to the following addresses: E-mail address: email@example.com with subject line ‘IGAD – GPA’.
Closing date for application will be on 10 July 2022. Due to the large number of applications we expect to receive; only successful candidates who meet the required experience & qualifications for this position will be contacted.
Contact: + 25321354050
IGAD is an equal opportunity employer. Female candidates are encouraged to apply.